Visa Applications


Since March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. 

Read about the eTA changes and how they may affect you.


Do you need a travel visa or an eTA for Canada? Click HERE in order to determine the right option.


NO, I don’t need a visa. Therefore :

  • Perform procedures to obtain an eTA
  • Hold a valid passport
  • Own a return flight ticket
  • Have the address of the hotel or residence where you will stay while in Montreal / in Canada


YES, I need a visa.

Type of visa : Temporary resident visa, as a visitor

Some countries requiring a Canadian temporary resident’s visa may experience difficulties during the application process. To avoid unexpected delays, a key component of the application will be strong proof that you will return home for personal reasons such as work, family etc.


Documents you need to apply for a visa:

1. Valid Passport. there must be at least one blank page including the last page, and the expiry date of the passport must be more than six months after the date of departure from Canada.

2. A letter from the Local Organizing Committee, Montreal Internatonal Triathlon in this case. This letter is to officially invite athletes, coaches and other members of the athlete’s entourage. Before requesting the letter from Montreal Internation Triathlon, please gather the following information for each person who requires a visa :

  • Name on passport
  • Passport Number
  • Date Passport was issued
  • Date Passport expires
  • Arrival date in Canada
  • Departure date from Canada
  • Name of Hotel or residence during stay in Canada

***Send info to***

3. A letter from your government or national authority. A letter from the visa applicants’ National Federation, National Olympic Committee or National Sport Council is required. This letter should state the role of each person applying for a visa while in Canada (athlete, coach, Congress delegate, etc.). It should also state that the applicants will be returning to their own country after their stay in Canada.

4. Proof of departure from Canada. Put together documentation for the immigration officer that you have ties to your home country and that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit (employment, family etc.). CIC want evidence of your economic and social ties to your home country.

5. Health. Proof of good health may be required. If asked, you should be able to prove you are in good health. A medical certificate from a professional medical doctor in your region may be required.

6. Money. Sufficient money to cover expenses for the duration of the stay in Canada. The amount of money you need depends on how long you will stay and where you will stay (i.e. with friends or relatives).


Are you eligible to apply online ? Click HERE

You must have :

  • Access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents to upload
  • A valid credit card to pay with


Check visa processing delays HERE. May vary from 4 to 99 days, depending on your home country.


Do you need to provide biometrics ?

Several countries need to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa. If you need to give your biometrics, please do not mail in your application. Submit your application online or in person at a Visa application centre (VAC). In either case, you will need to go to a VAC to give your biometrics. Find your closest VAC.


Do you need more information ? Here are some useful web links :

  • Do you need application forms and guides ? Click HERE
  • If I need a medical certificate, where can I find a panel doctor : Click HERE
  • Video : “eTA : What do you need to know?”