The ITU World Triathlon Series Montreal is governed by the highest standards of the International Triathlon Union (ITU) swimming water quality standards. These standards are established in accordance with the World Health Organization (WHO) standards and the European public health standards. The ITU competition rules (see section 10.2, p. 43) ensure safe swimming conditions for all athletes. The Jacques-Cartier Basin meets all the requirements.
Please find below an extract on ITU swimming water test requirements according to the ITU Event Organizers’ Manual :
Water quality tests submit to ITU
- At the time when the Local Organising Committee (LOC) announces the venue (if this takes place at least 15 months before the first competition date)
- One year prior in the month of the event
- Two months before the competition
- 7 days before the competition
Additional tests may be requested from the Technical Director based on the results of the previous tests.
The ITU will cancel the swimming leg of the triathlon if water quality tests indicate results outside of accepted standards as indicated in the table below, unless the ITU Medical Commissions issues a special authorization.
from Jacques-Cartier Basin
from Jacques-Cartier Basin (1)
|pH||6 to 9||7,82||7,75|
≤ 100 ufc/100 mL
|15 ufc/100 mL||11 ufc/100 mL|
|Escherichia coli (E. Coli)||
˂ 250 ufc/100 mL
|48 ufc/100 mL||16 ufc/100 mL|
(1) Samples were collected in the Jacques-Cartier Basin, the area where swimming will take place in Montreal's Old Port. The Montreal International Triathlon mandated Maxxam, a laboratory used by the INSP (the province of Québec’s Minister of Health and Social Services main agency in health matters), to analyse the results of the samples collected.
(2) The City of Montréal’s entero-cocci standards for water quality are the following : “Good” from 21 to 100 ufc/100 mL and “Acceptable” from 101 to 200 ufc/100 mL.
In addition, you can consult HERE the results of the water tests conducted weekly by the City of Montreal (in French only).
The Montreal International Triathlon team is available at all times to answer your questions regarding the quality of the water. Do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org